Elin Vanderlip was the wife of Kelvin Vanderlip and daughter-in-law of Frank Vanderlip Sr. who was known as ‘the father of Palos Verdes’. In 1953, Elin informally started a preschool for her children along with a few neighborhood children, by offering up her family’s beach cottage in Abalone Cove. The site quickly grew to include children from all sections of the Peninsula whose parents shared a common attitude regarding early childhood education.
Portuguese Bend Nursery School was licensed by the State Department of Social Services in 1958. In 1963, the Vanderlip beach area was converted to a private beach club. Successful negotiations with developers resulted in permission for the school to continue the use of the facilities at Abalone Shore Club at no rental cost. In 1975, the County of Los Angeles purchased the property and the city of Rancho Palos Verdes (RPV) leased the area from them. Since 1988, the city of RPV has had jurisdiction over the area.
The organization and administration of PBNS are the responsibility of the parent-members. It is a non-profit organization, founded for the purpose of furnishing preschool education and guidance for children and their parents. It was established to provide a means of promoting and fostering a better understanding of parent-child relationships.